Friday, March 31, 2006

Classroom Management Systems Comparison Chart

I have a dream of a library classroom where the instructor controls the computers students use. No more students checking their e-mail or MySpace page. No choice but to pay attention (or sleep). The instructor can even direct all student computers to the same website. Several software/hardware products, called Classroom Management Systems, make this possible. The Teaching Methods Committee of ACRL provides a list comparing many of these products at http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/acrl/about/sections/is/projpubs/classroomcontrolsys/classroomcontrol.cfm.

Someday my dream will come true.

PS. If you have experience using a Classroom Management System, please post a comment with your opinion of the system you use.

1 comment:

A. Rivera said...

I have not used a CMS in ages, but the university I was in before I went to Library School had it. I worked at their library as a grad assistant, and I tell you, it is the greatest thing to keep students on task and away from surfing. Unfortunately, it seems having these ideas may be un-PC in some of the camps that think the kids should have everything they want. As a teacher with a good share of experience, I say go for it. We are remodeling at MPOW, and as soon as we get to that stage, I am having a CMS put in. Thanks for the list.

Best, and keep on blogging.